View Single Post
Old 04-18-2013, 02:52 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
360shoes

I would like to share my experience with recovery methods only because I may be the odd duck here and actually could have been one of those statistics. I do this in respect of all methods. Take it for what's its worth.

Back when I went to rehab there wasn't much else offered but 12 step recovery methods. When I left rehab, I attended a few meetings and found, that for me, it didn't have to be an all or nothing program to be helpful. I like the 12 steps. Never felt the need for a sponsor. I just saw the steps as a nice to do list for being a good person. I use Buddhist literature and a book written by a Rabbi that I like to use for this. I'm not Jewish. I found ways to understand those concepts without any religious references. I attended a meeting whenever I felt like it just to be around other people who did not drink or were trying not to. I listened mostly but shared on occasion. I respected what others believed and in my case, not one person ever questioned me or cornered me to convert me. Could be just luck but even if someone did, I wouldn't have participated in the debate anyway. They could have lobbed the ball all they wanted but I would have just stepped back and not caught it. I would refuse to volley. I would have just thanked them for sharing and then gone about my merry way. I never considered myself a member of any group. Regardless, I didn't drink for 10 years. During that time, had I been handed a survey, I may very well been considered a success of the program depending upon how the question was asked. If I was asked did I feel a particular method helped me with not drinking I would have answered yes. If they asked me did I follow any particular method to the letter and as a result of that did it help me not drink. I would have answered no. If the survey was handed out while I was not at a meeting which easily could have happened since I popped in whenever I wanted wherever I wanted to, I would have been considered unsuccessful even though I was still out there not drinking and pretty darn happy.

My opinion is some folks whole heartedly work one program or the other, some work one program or the other taking just the parts that work for them, some people use tools from a lot of programs. Some use no programs. There are probably as many variations as there are people. My dad has a heavy drinker 45 years ago and just woke up one day and said that's it and never took a drink again. We wouldn't know a recovery program if it hit him. Go figure.

I have found that I'm not too spooked or have such strong convictions about doctrine that I'm not open to try something different if needed. But, hey I'm a buddhist and I like the middle way.

I hope I followed the rules by just talking about my experience but if not feel free to remove my post.