View Single Post
Old 04-16-2013, 03:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Audrey1

I understand what you mean, Choublak.

I have a very hard time with this. The strange thing is, I didn't believe in all that "the one" crap before I met my partner. I just assumed Walt Disney made it up and managed to fool the rest of the world into believing it. Meeting my partner changed my mind and, for the first time, I truly believed he was the one for me. Marriage... children... these things no longer made me nauseous to think about them, and suddenly became things I actually wanted.

And then his alcoholism became apparent. I held on as long as I could but after being on the receiving end of some pretty pointed and nasty verbal abuse one too many times I lost all interest in the idea of the "one", of marriage, and of having children. The person who gave me hope for those things actually being real was the very same person who also shattered the illusion they could exist in my life.

That being said, I can see the immense efforts he has since gone to to "become a better man" for me in terms of quitting drinking and slowly working through his problems. This is a marked improvement on where we were this time last year, that's for sure. He has made all these changes for himself, but also because he has absolutely no doubt in his mind (apparently) that I am his "one".

So do I go with that and try to let go of all the bad memories and see his actions of today as evidence of love? Or it is simply impossible for someone to even conceive of abusing his "one", even under the influence of alcohol? Jury's still out.