Old 04-10-2013, 08:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Gforce23

MORNIN'!

I've been up since probably, 5:00 am! Yay, I love starting my day out tired. Yep, that was irony.

So, yeah, I hear everybody about staying connected with your sobriety and why your doing it. I may not have sponsor, and I don't really call people, but the meetings do really help me stay anchored in what I'm doing and why I'm doing it. Also, since I haven't been socializing much in any other way, I don't feel quite as isolated when I go to meetings, as it gets me out amongst people--and, as an added bonus, I don't have to explain myself to anyone there!

However, coming here has helped me at least as much, if not more. I've come here almost daily for three months--actually probably longer, as I was coming here while I was getting ready to make the leap. However, I think I'm going to suck it up and phone a few people this morning, just so their not worried about me (if indeed, they actually are...) and I think I'll go to a meeting today while my son's in school. I got caught up on most of my household chores yesterday, so I don't have anything to pressing I feel like I need to be doing here at the house... besides the fridge needing a clean-out and the recycling mess in the basement--but my kid likes to help with that, so we'll take care of it after school. He's trying to make more change for Lego, so I told him I'd give him a few loonies to help out.

Other than that, I also have some old friends who are very dear to me, who have been sober for 6 and a half, and 4 and a half years, respectively, who continue to really have my back and are there for me to talk to about what I'm going through whenever they have time. So, I may not have an official "sponsor" but I do have some "sober elder's" so to speak who have a lot credibility with me, because they are my good friends, and I've known them both long before they quit drinking. It actually helps me to think, well, if not one but TWO of the ladies I love and respect most in the world have done this and are doing it, then I can get over these hurdles and do it as well.

Anyway, SR chat rooms, you say? I've never been over there... maybe I'll check it out here at some point. I definitely feel the need to be doing more about what my mental processes have been, so I am open to anything.

Hey there Soberlicious, Yeah, it is maddening. I was just telling my aforementioned girlfriends that I wish I could just lobotomize the drinking part of my brain. However, it does help for me to think of it as a "wiring issue." Thinking about it as a biological/psychological brain wiring issue depersonalized it so that I don't start berating myself for there being something "wrong" with me. I find it helps to think of it like a medical problem--even though I don't really buy that alcoholics or alcohol abuser's have an "allergy" to alcohol, it is helpful to put it in that context whether it's technically true or not.

Anyway, gotta run folks--got to get out of this warm but frumpy housecoat, and into something more respectable to get my kid to school!

I'm really glad to see you all here.