View Single Post
Old 04-10-2013, 07:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Recovering2

Welcome, and glad you found this site! I think everything you are feeling is completely normal. My BF is now 5 months sober, and like your husband, he is doing really well with his recovery. But this is still early, and things are definitely different. I think there is a lot of adjustment in these early months, on both our parts. I have those moments where I want to remind him how badly he hurt me during those dark days, but I'm learning that's not helpful. He is working his steps, and will learn all of that as he progresses through the steps. I stay on my side of the street, and attend AlAnon faithfully. I got my own sponsor, and have started working my own steps. I expect him to do it in AA, so I do my part in AlAnon. And it's been a tremendous help, keeps me from going back to that spinning mode.

I really wanted apologies when my BF came home from treatment, I had anger about the lack of apology as he talked about how happy he was sober. I shared in an AlAnon meeting that I was frustrated, did I really have to wait until he reached Step 9 to get the apologies I deserved? How long would it take him to get to Step 9? There was a young woman who is a member of AA who attended our meeting with her Dad. She shared her experience. She said that when she first came out of treatment, she didn't really have a true understanding of what carnage she had truly caused. If she had apologized right then, she wouldn't have truly understood what all she was apologizing for. But by the time she got to Step 9, she understood and was sincere in her amends to people. She realized it was frustrating for her loved ones, but she was glad she waited until then. That was a HUGE message for me. I think of her message anytime I start to get frustrated. Let him do his work, be patient, do my own work.

Congrats to your spouse on 6 months of sobriety! Keep going to AlAnon, work your own steps, read/post here. Be patient. (((hugs)))