View Single Post
Old 04-10-2013, 07:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
kkelly370

Husband 6 mos sober,,,,,now what??

I am brand new here and have absolutely no idea if this is the correct forum to use. My husband is 6 months sober. He is in AA and very active in his recovery. He has changed his whole life. I am so proud of him and SO happy that he has decided to make a positive change for himself and our family. We have been married for 14 years and have a 7 year old son. I know that my husband drank to avoid feelings about everything. I would often joke that he was "dead inside". He truly was as he was always drunk. Now that the alcohol is not numbing him 24 hours a day, he is feeling things for the first time. Over time I have noticed that he is EUPHORIC, about AA, about everything. I am finding that I am having a hard time adjusting to the 'NEW HUSBAND" I know that sounds ungrateful and selfish, but for 18 years we both had very definite roles and they are changing. I am just not sure who he is. I am starting to panic a bit, thinking maybe we don't "fit" with him being sober. Yet at the same time, I would NEVER want to go back to the hell that was his alcoholism. I feel like I am supposed to just forget about the last 18 years of hell and say "GLAD YOU HAVE IT ALL FIGURED OUT, LET'S SKIP DOWN THIS GOLDEN ROAD TOGETHER" ALSO as I listen to him tell me just how bad his habit was, I am angry, I feel even more betrayed. I am going back to Alanon on Monday. I know that I will get some help in dealing with this - But was curious if this is normal or I am just a complete jerk for not being the number one cheerleader in his recovery.
Thanks