View Single Post
Old 04-10-2013, 01:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
AliKatD

Wife of a recovering alcoholic

Hello all !

I am so glad that I found this site. I am the wife of a (very recently) recovering alcoholic. My husband went to rehab 3 Mar after about 3 years of being an alcoholic. He has only been home since the 31st of March.

I am thrilled that my husband has gotten help and seems very enthusiastic about AA and his recovery. I have to admit that I am struggling a bit as he seems like such a different person (in good ways). I had become accustomed to his drunken abuse, so I am a little uncertain why his newfound sobriety is making me uncomfortable.

I think part of it is due to my atheist husband spouting higher power statements, which make me feel as though he has been brainwashed. Part is because I feel like so much of the burden of his continued sobriety seems to be placed on me, albeit less than when he was still drinking. Partly, I am jealous of his newfound "family" of support. I have always been there for him, yet I feel left out and insignificant now that he has his AA family that I do not "belong" in.

I joined this forum in hopes of learning how to best be there for my husband and to understand my role. We are in marriage counselling once a week, he sees an addiction psychiatrist every other week and is attending AA meetings every day at this point. I have yet to go to an AlAnon meeting and another reason I joined is to check out their forum. I am a little leary about what I have read so far on other sites, but I admit that I need some sort of support through this. My husband's psychiatrist gave me the name of a counsellor who works with spouses of addicted people, so I plan to start working with her in the near future.

This is more than I intended to say in my first post, so I will leave it at this for now.

I am happy to be here and looking forward to getting to know you all better,

Ali Kat