Old 04-08-2013, 09:59 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
FreedomWon
Grateful Member

Originally Posted by FlyerNation View Post
Participation is certainly lacking in many aspects of AA. Yesterday I wanted to ridicule a group of girls there for no other reason I'm sure than the court demands it. My home group has more and more people coming in and many not actually listening just looking at the walls, whispering like the rest.

It's alot like this forum. Don't get me wrong this place is great but this place is more about allowing a person to talk and discuss thier issue than always seeking advice. You rarely see threads continue after the first day or two, as if the OP's problem went away.
I'm glad you got what I was actually saying in this post. I feel in all fairness that there is something so loosy goosy in our culture today that seems to allow people to run a muck where simple civility would create such a more nurturing atmosphere.

The problem lies with us. If we do nothing, it becomes an implied consent to continue on with a less than satisfying meeting.

In one meeting I attended, a woman was speaking. One guy at the table nearest stood up and was showing someone something...and the speaker said, "Bob", sit down and be quiet, Honey." And "Bob" sat right down and was really sweet about it. The speaker never missed a beat as she continued her talk. It was really neat! No harm no foul!

We've all sat through drunk o logs that glorify the stupidity of the old life, so much so that they don't leave enough room to talk about what God's done and doing in their lives now. And that's a pity, really. I think the drunk talk is boring usually but the resolve and good news is so refreshing! Wouldn't it be cool if in the middle of all that drunk talk someone kindly reminded "Bob" to share some hope and renewal!

I think we need to kindly be like the women who told "Bob" to be quite and sit down, Honey. And if we're true to the Big Book and what was happening back then when the success rate was so dang high, I think we need to consider being more the way we originally were.

I doubt folks in the Akron group were looking at the ceiling, or whispering to someone while the meetings were going on.

Thank you again for reading this and posting.

God bless you,
FreedomWon