Thread: what to do
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2013, 04:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Pelican
peaceful seabird

Welcome and thanks for introducing yourself!

You are in between a rock and a hard place. I can't tell you what to do but I can help you look at how the options will play out.

I am going to assume that both your incomes are required to meet your household expenses like utilities, rent/mortgage, food, etc.

If you give him control of his income, you may be left with unpaid household expenses.
If you keep control of his income, you are contributing to his addiction by making it okay for him not to face the reality of being a responsible partner in the home.

If you can afford to take the chance that he will pay his portion of the household expenses as required, then give him control of his income.

In my personal experience with my now ex-husband, when I tried to control the money (he was drinking and gambling) he found a way to still get money. He rented a Post Office box, opened a new credit card in his name with the P.O. box listed as his address, and he began to use that Credit Card as an ATM card taking out cash withdrawals with very high interest payments. We had a financial nightmare when I finally figured out what was happening.