Thread: It's time
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2013, 10:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Paddler

I had a lot of really good times with alcohol. It used to be a whole lot of fun... from a few on the golf course to a 6 pack of my favorite beer on the weekend... to entire days of drinking on vacation at the beach with no responsibilities.

All that started to change a couple of years ago for me. I tried to hold on... but drinking just lots its' allure. It wasn't as fun. Hangovers were awful. In bouts of sobriety I've been able to reflect on all the moments of destruction that took place here and there... all the close calls driving.

I think we change. Our bodies and minds change. We have to evolve... and I know in my personal evolution drinking will eventually lead to "Darwinism". It made me sad at first to think about not drinking. I've become very excited...

My bowel movements are normal (weird saying that as an athletic 33 year old), I fall asleep on my own and wake up refreshed, I have more energy for my family, I have more focus on goals, I feel more connected spiritually (I used to think a buzz made me more connected), I exercise better...

The list goes on and on. And, I'm even enjoying golf more sober. Well, other than a good cigar. =) As my friends get more intoxicated I stay consistent... Hang in there. I have a long way to go but can see it's totally worth it.