Notices

It's time

Old 04-04-2013, 09:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It's time

Well, I need to get sober. Ive been drinking for going on 20 years now. Not everyday, but binge style, which creates massive hangovers and many lost days.

From reading the post here it seems we all go through the phase of thinking we can handle our drinking or denial. From time to time I can just have a few and go home. I just never know when I'm going to have that blowout night and drink 12 beers and risk driving home. I still can't figure out what I like about alcohol so much. The consequences are definitely not worth the buzz, but yet I'm drawn right back to it after a couple days sober. I'm here and committed to staying sober - day 1!
Old 04-04-2013, 09:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm glad you joined the family! Lots of support here and useful information too. Read around the site and post as you like.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I had a lot of really good times with alcohol. It used to be a whole lot of fun... from a few on the golf course to a 6 pack of my favorite beer on the weekend... to entire days of drinking on vacation at the beach with no responsibilities.

All that started to change a couple of years ago for me. I tried to hold on... but drinking just lots its' allure. It wasn't as fun. Hangovers were awful. In bouts of sobriety I've been able to reflect on all the moments of destruction that took place here and there... all the close calls driving.

I think we change. Our bodies and minds change. We have to evolve... and I know in my personal evolution drinking will eventually lead to "Darwinism". It made me sad at first to think about not drinking. I've become very excited...

My bowel movements are normal (weird saying that as an athletic 33 year old), I fall asleep on my own and wake up refreshed, I have more energy for my family, I have more focus on goals, I feel more connected spiritually (I used to think a buzz made me more connected), I exercise better...

The list goes on and on. And, I'm even enjoying golf more sober. Well, other than a good cigar. =) As my friends get more intoxicated I stay consistent... Hang in there. I have a long way to go but can see it's totally worth it.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Happy you've joined us, Golflover.

I drank for many years, too. The binge drinking turned into every day drinking in the end. Every time I picked up it led to an unpredictable outcome, sometimes even danger. Glad you are taking a serious look at what alcohol is doing to your life. You don't need it! Glad to have you with us.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Golflover1 View Post
I still can't figure out what I like about alcohol so much.
I am convinced that some of us are just born to abuse alcohol and cannot control our intake. It's not about liking it or drinking for a reason. I tried for years to figure out why I drank and at one point just quitting became more important than figuring out the reasons behind it. I had problems with alcohol from the very first time I drank and had continual problems since in various different ways. Eventually I just had to accept that it was a problem for me and give it up. Best thing I ever did

Glad you are here Golflover x
Old 04-04-2013, 02:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

''I still can't figure out what I like about alcohol so much. The consequences are definitely not worth the buzz, but yet I'm drawn right back to it after a couple days sober''.

That's alcoholism in a nutshell! Welcome.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Golflover, I am really sorry this happens to some of us (addiction), but it is like the thief who steals in the night: we have no control, but we can prevent.

Oddly enough, we learn things. I LOVE watching golf on TV (I hate TV generally) but I did learn golf from my grandmother and although I am a lousy player, the courses have become so ...scientific... that I watch the matches).

Strange things like this happen when we become sober... who knew??

About the "couple of days sober", we DO need to learn a new way of living. This does (and I don't care what anyone says), take time, and willingness. We have a conception of ourselves that has been built over many years, and we need to re-examine all this "stuff"

Alcohol relieves us of responsibility. GOSH DO I HATE THIS!! To be responsible for my own life??????????? CRAP!!! But there it is.

Your friend in recovery, Pamel
Old 04-04-2013, 05:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!
Old 04-04-2013, 06:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome from me too Golflover

D