Old 03-29-2013, 07:13 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Hanna

I talked to a friend of mine that was in an alcoholic spiral. Actually, wrote him a long letter about how he was needed and how important he was to so many. It was filled with love. I know he read it and understood it very well.

He died less than a year later when he crashed his car drunk.

I am never going to be sorry that I wrote him that letter. It helped me to accept that I had done what I could. It's helping me come to terms with the likelihood that his death was as it was meant to be.

If you do say anything, say it with love, not judgement. Read the sticky about how families can help. If you cannot approach her with complete love and respect, do not do it.

You sound like you have a great deal of judgement and envy for her. Money does not buy happiness. You might not be able to imagine what it's like to be able to buy anything in the world, except for the things you really want and need. Like a loving father, serenity, self respect. Money makes the lack of these things even more painful, actually. I believe it is what ultimately killed my friend. We only walk in our own shoes and have no idea of what pain is really going on inside someone else. So please think hard about yourself and your motives before approaching her. Only if you can remove the judgement and disdain and only if your desire is solely out of love for her should you go to her and say anything.

Then draw your own boundaries before you do and be prepared to walk away.

"I love you and I am concerned."
"Please know I am here if you need help"

That's about all that needs to be said.

And please use text wisely! It's not for serious conversation, more like "see you at 8!"