View Single Post
Old 12-07-2004, 10:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
gelfling
Searching and tripping

Save yourself the trouble of forcing him to quit anything. It won't work.

What I found really odd was that he was bowling on Saturday nights and not getting home until Monday morning. Or is it Sunday nights he bowls. I don't know where you live, but the bars do close around here for several hours.

Threatening, begging, pleading, and all the other stuff we do to the AH to get them to stop drinking only makes it worse. Heck, even if we don't say anything, they'll say we don't care and that's another excuse.

A couple of weeks ago, we went to a wedding that started out being a very nice affair. Within 3 hours at the reception, it was a raging horror show with drunks all over the place screaming and shouting and making fools of themselves. Funny how we can be sober and see the progression of the effects of alcohol on other people. It sickens us. My husband, now recovering once asked me if he acted like that and it was a definite yes. Our son, who is also recovering said that when it got loud and wild was when the fun began. But he couldn't remember the fun.

Look for alanon meetings in your area. You need support and you'll get plenty there. As well as here. Your twins are also being affected by what's going on. There are meetings for kids too and it would be a great idea for them to attend and learn that daddy is sick and at the same time, they'll be taught that life can be wonderful with the booze. I didn't do this for my son and he's now a 24 year old recovering alcoholic.

Be good to yourself and attend meetings.

Blessings, Kathy