View Single Post
Old 03-25-2013, 06:31 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Kindeyes

And my ex is opposite. He went hunting and could even took a picture of himself and the dying deer together...
Don't even get me started on hunting.....I understand why it is done......but had some bad experiences as a child. My Dad used to hold me tightly while he dressed out his kill (doves as I recall) and make me watch. I would cry and cry......he thought it was funny. And would hold me tighter while laughing as I struggled to get away. I'm sure he was trying to teach me something but I sure didn't get it at age five or six!

Hmmmm. You have been peeking into my life!
lol. Some comments in another thread got me thinking.....someone mentioned that they didn't appreciate being told that they were "sick" because their son was addicted. I don't want to imply that anyone is "sick"......not everyone is codependent but there's a good number who are. But I will say that some of my behaviors became quite sick as it relates to my son's addiction.....some of these early signs of my codependence contributed to those behaviors. I did all of the typical stuff....begging, pleading, crying, obsessing trying to get him to see what he was doing to himself, and some pretty impressive detective work. Addiction often leads to behaviors and reactions from loved ones that are unhealthy in the guise of being supportive. Enabling, rescuing, and succumbing to manipulations that escalate as the disease progresses are some examples of this. Recognizing our own interactions with the addict in our lives can help us provide the kind of support that is truly beneficial to them and does not sacrifice our own emotional, psychological, financial, and spiritual well being.

If anyone sees themselves in any of these behaviors, I just want to clarify that I'm not pointing fingers at anyone in this forum......but hopefully it gives food for thought and an opportunity for some self exploration and self acceptance.

gentle hugs to my fellow codependents.....lol
ke