Thread: No Turning Back
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2013, 04:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sudz No More

No Turning Back

As I go deeper than ever before into days without a drink sobriety has become more of a necessity than it has ever been.

The biggest question most people would ask is what you did different this time. It was pretty simple actually, I started going to a Psychologist. Going to him once a week has made me feel responsible to my sobriety and it keeps me grounded whenever I still get the crazy thoughts.

My problem now is, when do I stop going? I certainly can't go to him forever, I do have good insurance which covers all but my $25 copay but I start to feel funny going there the farther I get from drinking. Some weeks I just talk about life in general and tell him, "Sorry, I guess I'm a boring patient" because I have little to talk about regarding drinking. I just keep going because my sobriety depends on it.

That said, I do still have a mental fixation which sometimes gnaws at my moral conscience and this week was one of them. Going to him this week was necessary and it helped me to cope. Still other weeks I feel odd and out of place. My Wife thinks it is too soon for me to stop going and I think so too but I just know that I can't go forever.

For now, I am just happy to be the farthest I have ever been without a drink. I just passed St. Patrick's Day without an Irish Beer which was the first time in probably 20 years that I didn't. Now that's saying something.

Have a great sober week everyone.