Notices

No Turning Back

Old 03-24-2013, 04:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

No Turning Back

As I go deeper than ever before into days without a drink sobriety has become more of a necessity than it has ever been.

The biggest question most people would ask is what you did different this time. It was pretty simple actually, I started going to a Psychologist. Going to him once a week has made me feel responsible to my sobriety and it keeps me grounded whenever I still get the crazy thoughts.

My problem now is, when do I stop going? I certainly can't go to him forever, I do have good insurance which covers all but my $25 copay but I start to feel funny going there the farther I get from drinking. Some weeks I just talk about life in general and tell him, "Sorry, I guess I'm a boring patient" because I have little to talk about regarding drinking. I just keep going because my sobriety depends on it.

That said, I do still have a mental fixation which sometimes gnaws at my moral conscience and this week was one of them. Going to him this week was necessary and it helped me to cope. Still other weeks I feel odd and out of place. My Wife thinks it is too soon for me to stop going and I think so too but I just know that I can't go forever.

For now, I am just happy to be the farthest I have ever been without a drink. I just passed St. Patrick's Day without an Irish Beer which was the first time in probably 20 years that I didn't. Now that's saying something.

Have a great sober week everyone.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on the sober time. I think I would keep going,especially since you say your wife also thinks so. I have given a lot of serious thought to it myself. I sure won't deny I have "issues"
I know a guy that never drank that went to one also. I think he went for a year or so. He said it helped him immensely.
Maybe instead of going every week you could cut down,to every other week. And on down the road once a month?
I know what you mean about no turning back. But then again I always stay on guard. Right now I don't think I will ever drink again. But we often see people on here sober for years that started again. I always keep in mind I am only one drink away from going back to hell,and try not to get complacent.

Fred
Old 03-24-2013, 06:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

As long as you still want to go, go. When you no longer need it you'll know. I saw an addiction counselor once a week for nearly four years, then since I was sober and doing better it went to once every two weeks. Now it's once a month. I don't need to talk about drinking cause I don't drink anymore but it's great to have a place to vent and get insight from.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sudz No More View Post
ghts.

My problem now is, when do I stop going? I certainly can't go to him forever, I do have good insurance which covers all but my $25 copay but I start to feel funny going there the farther I get from drinking..
Do you have AA in your area? It's free, and the best counseling I ever got.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
High on Life

Originally Posted by deeker View Post
Do you have AA in your area? It's free, and the best counseling I ever got.
I have been going to my therapist for 3 years now. The last year and a half has only been every 4-5 weeks. I don't need to go as much as much as I like to go. It's just fun to go for that hour and half to have somebody just listen to you, and the subject of drinking or not drinking hardly ever comes up. There is nothing wrong with going, it can't hurt.

While AA is a good support group, no way in any shape or fashion is it therapy. Don't get the two confused.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
recovering alcoholic

I love your attitude! Good for you. Go as long as you want to go. And go to meetings as well. One of the reasons I go to meetings is not only because they help me, but I look for opportunities to help others.

Good luck to you.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Originally Posted by TheEnd View Post
While AA is a good support group, no way in any shape or fashion is it therapy. Don't get the two confused.
YES! NEVER forget this.

also, at first, when stopping drinking is the most pressing issue, it's what we tend to talk about in therapy. But sometimes with some sober time, we don't have the constant cravings etc, and then other issues surface or take priority in therapy. That's part of recovery, and if we address those things and learn how to order our lives we are much less likely to turn to drinking again. We don't have to be talking about drinking or alcohol for something to be a very important part of our recovery.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TheEnd View Post

I believe in the therapeutic value of one alcoholic/addict helping another. No one understands me quite like another alkie/addict. My sponsor and support group are free and they work for me. And that's all that matters. Whatever works.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
High on Life

Originally Posted by deeker View Post
I believe in the therapeutic value of one alcoholic/addict helping another. No one understands me quite like another alkie/addict. My sponsor and support group are free and they work for me. And that's all that matters. Whatever works.
That's fine and I'm glad it works for you. Just don't equate it to counseling. The two are not synonymous.