Old 03-23-2013, 11:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
LexieCat
A work in progress

Your story is very, very familiar. I'm not quite sure why, if you were having these doubts, you signed a year's lease with him only a month ago. But whatever--we've all made poor choices as a result of living with alcoholism.

There are ALWAYS options. You are not trapped there for the next year. Leases can be broken, and he is equally responsible for the rent.

My suggestion is that you first get yourself to Al-Anon. Coming here was a great first step, but Al-Anon has a program that can help you recover from the effects of living with the insanity and chaos that goes along with having an alcoholic partner. I also suggest that you consult a lawyer about your rights and obligations with respect to the lease situation. You may not want to make a move this minute, but it's best to explore all your options.

You are at risk for physical injury if you stay in this living situation. He has already caused you physical harm, he is invading your privacy, and engaging in what amounts to stalking behavior. I suggest you also make an appointment to meet with a counselor or advocate with your local domestic violence agency.

I don't know how old your kids are, but their exposure to this is very bad for them, too. Please work on getting yourself to a better place. You've given no indication that he has the slightest interest in recovering from his alcoholism, and untreated, you can expect it to get worse--maybe MUCH worse.