View Single Post
Old 03-22-2013, 11:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Maylie

When we start to feel like we can't stand another minute of hearing about their addiction and their feelings it gets very easy to feel guilty about it or think that we are being cold hearted. A good way to look at is if you child kept coming to you complaining about bad grades and never put forth the studying to do better how long would you let him complain before you told him to study or shut up? Same with friends that ask for advice/need to vent but every week it is the same thing. After awhile you hit a limit where it is like if you're so unhappy do something ..at least work harder.

Keep focusing on yourself. Addicts love to share very personal things about themselves and make us think wow he/she is really opening up but in the end talk is cheap. I have also noticed that yeah the addict is opening up but all they do is talk about themselves. talk talk talk talk quack quack quack.

You have every right to feel the way you feel. In fact, by embracing your feelings you might figure out exactly how you want your life to go. I wish I would have listened to myself more in certain situations and not worried about others.