View Single Post
Old 03-19-2013, 11:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Krob8788

So done...hopefully

Hello all, first off, I'm a 24 year old male living in Louisiana. Alcohol has been a pretty big part of my life for the past 6 years. My father is a recovering alcoholic closing in on 5 years sober and he has been a pretty big help whenever I've had questions regarding sobriety. I guess I would describe myself as an alcohol abuser or a problem drinker. Alcohol has gotten me in trouble more times than I'd like to recall including a DUI 5 years ago.

I'm happy to say that I don't drink anywhere close to as often as I did when I was 18-22 years old, but whenever I do it just gets out of control. This past Sunday (St. Patty's day) I went to a party at a friend's house. It was $10 for food and $10 for all you can drink keg beer. I only showed up with $10 cash intending on only eating. After being there for an hour or so, the host came up to me and told me I didn't have to pay for drinks if i didn't want to...fantastic. After a few minutes of contemplation, I decided a beer wouldn't hurt as I hadn't drank in a couple months beforehand. Needless to say one beer turned into keg stands and keg stands turned into pulls out of a bottle of Captain Morgan.

Now, I've been really serious about lifting and eating healthy the past 8 months or so. This is one of my reasons I wanted to limit my alcohol consumption. However, I've been oblivious to the fact that I absolutely can not control my drinking once it begins, and when I drink bad things tend to happen. I woke up Monday morning with a sense of guilt and embarrassment. Not only because I physically felt like crap (I'm still feeling it today by the way) but because I feel like I let myself down while I'm trying to achieve things in the gym (and in life). Somehow I made it to the gym Monday, and I credit myself for that even though I almost puked 3 times.

I've come to the point where I REALLY don't ever want to feel like this again. Lifting and being healthy is my way of coping with things and I'm trying to realize that I don't need alcohol to have fun and be happy. Hopefully I can learn to not put myself in situations where things like this can continue to happen. I'm sorry if my problems seem "petty" or whatever, but I stumbled across this site and I just felt obligated to post.