Notices

So done...hopefully

Old 03-19-2013, 11:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So done...hopefully

Hello all, first off, I'm a 24 year old male living in Louisiana. Alcohol has been a pretty big part of my life for the past 6 years. My father is a recovering alcoholic closing in on 5 years sober and he has been a pretty big help whenever I've had questions regarding sobriety. I guess I would describe myself as an alcohol abuser or a problem drinker. Alcohol has gotten me in trouble more times than I'd like to recall including a DUI 5 years ago.

I'm happy to say that I don't drink anywhere close to as often as I did when I was 18-22 years old, but whenever I do it just gets out of control. This past Sunday (St. Patty's day) I went to a party at a friend's house. It was $10 for food and $10 for all you can drink keg beer. I only showed up with $10 cash intending on only eating. After being there for an hour or so, the host came up to me and told me I didn't have to pay for drinks if i didn't want to...fantastic. After a few minutes of contemplation, I decided a beer wouldn't hurt as I hadn't drank in a couple months beforehand. Needless to say one beer turned into keg stands and keg stands turned into pulls out of a bottle of Captain Morgan.

Now, I've been really serious about lifting and eating healthy the past 8 months or so. This is one of my reasons I wanted to limit my alcohol consumption. However, I've been oblivious to the fact that I absolutely can not control my drinking once it begins, and when I drink bad things tend to happen. I woke up Monday morning with a sense of guilt and embarrassment. Not only because I physically felt like crap (I'm still feeling it today by the way) but because I feel like I let myself down while I'm trying to achieve things in the gym (and in life). Somehow I made it to the gym Monday, and I credit myself for that even though I almost puked 3 times.

I've come to the point where I REALLY don't ever want to feel like this again. Lifting and being healthy is my way of coping with things and I'm trying to realize that I don't need alcohol to have fun and be happy. Hopefully I can learn to not put myself in situations where things like this can continue to happen. I'm sorry if my problems seem "petty" or whatever, but I stumbled across this site and I just felt obligated to post.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Krob. I'm so glad you're here. I wish I'd realized at 24 what alcohol was doing to my life.

I was the same way - it was never one drink. Ever. To know that is one of the most valuable things you'll ever learn. Your life won't turn into a chaos filled train wreck. No, your post was not petty. These are things that are important to have out in the open and share. Others will benefit from your thoughts. We're glad you joined us.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Krob,

It's not petty to have concerns about your life. In fact it's the opposite. Keep your focus on being healthy and your goals in life. You are still very young and have realized that your alcohol use can't continue. If you have problems now they will only get worse as time goes on as all on this site can attest to. Keep sober and use every tool you have at your disposal to stay that way. There is a bunch of resources and supportive people here to help you. Also it might be a good idea to stay clear of situations that will make it easier to drink at least for the time being.

Good luck and glad you found SR,

T
Old 03-19-2013, 12:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm so glad that you did post KRob. I think everyone 'stumbles' upon the right things when they need them the most. The fact that you have awakened, and know that you cannot control your drinking once it begins, and bad things tend to happen is fantastic. It's exactly the same way with me. There's no telling where I'll end up or what I will do once I start. And before starting there's is rarely a thought to the consequences.

'I'll be alright this time. This time I'll control it'. 'This time it'll be fun, and I'll have a great time'. lol.

That's the insanity of alcoholism. And I believe it really is insanity. To a non alcoholic person it certainly would be. If I drove my car without brakes people would say 'Mate, you're insane, think of what might happen'! But that's what I do when I drink.

I don't have an alcohol brake!

Welcome.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

KRob,

Welcome to SR. I was in the same type situation, couldn't stop at 1 or 2. There are no "petty" issues when it comes to alchohol abuse.

You are smart enough to realize at such a young age what alchohol can do to you and should be proud of the fact that you recognize this.

Keep coming back here and posting, SR is open 24/7.

Focus on healthy and fun