View Single Post
Old 03-18-2013, 10:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Hanna

I'm from the F&F side, but here's my perspective:

It is not an auspicious beginning for him to tell you he is going to call weekly with the reminder then never do so. Perhaps he has a good reason, though.

Generally though, the one desiring the help should be making the phone calls. Since it sounds like you two left it up in the air as to who would contact whom about meeting, I think he may have been rightly expecting you to take the initiative.

Personally I would tread lightly with respect to choosing an existing friend for a sponsor. I'd go to meetings and watch people for a while, then select someone based on what I saw coming from them. In friendships we should be equals. With a sponsor I would seek someone that could mentor me and guide me by sharing their own experiences and giving me gentle correction when needed. It's not the role I want my friends to take with me, nor one I personally would want to take with a friend. I'd be looking for a wise Uncle type. Also, previous prior interaction could interfere with my ability to be completely open and direct with a friend. I do think you should give your friend a call for camaraderie and to share support and restart your friendship now that you are both sober. Maybe he would be a good sponsor, or maybe just a healthy friend to have around.

That's my .10.

Peace and prosperity!
Hanna