View Single Post
Old 03-18-2013, 09:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
RiverFriend

AA question regarding sponsor

Hi guys,
A question for you AA folks. I have been in and out of meetings for 15 years but only recently taking the program seriously. I have never had a sponsor in the past. A man my age offered to be my sponsor last Monday and I told him I would send him a message that week. He asked if he could have my phone number to add to the group of people he calls on Sunday nights to remind them of the Monday night meeting and I agreed.

I sent a message to him on Thursday evening asking him to be my sponsor if he was still willing. He wrote back on Friday saying Yes and that it was a great decision on my part. He had plans with his son on Saturday (I had plans as well) so he said let's plan on sometime Sunday (yesterday). I didn't hear from him at all yesterday and was surprised not to even get a phone call as a reminder of the Monday night meeting like he said he does for everyone in the group. My question: Should I be calling him or should I have called him more? Is that part of working the program by taking initiative to get my sponsor more involved?

At this point, I don't feel like he is my sponsor because we really haven't even talked much other than the night I met him at the meeting. A part of my gut thinks he may have too much going on or that he is struggling himself right now (speculative I know). Anyway, I found another meeting (26 meetings a week at this location) that I really enjoyed and am thinking about asking someone else and avoiding this meeting and him altogether. Trying to avoid drama and I know it's not the sponsor's job to keep me sober, it's my job to turn my life over to God and that is where the healing and power will come from. With that said, I still really want some guidance with the steps. Any thoughts/opinions appreciated. Day 11 here