Old 03-18-2013, 03:40 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
soberlicious

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
What would you be saying if that were your wife in the bushes? Your daughter? I'm pretty sure you would be racking your brain for possible solutions, no matter how implausible or non-helpful. When we love someone and that someone appears hell bent on self-destruction, we tend to grab at straws. It's natural. and ps you're lucky. Many folks don't have people to bug the sh*t out of them. Some don't have even one other person who even cares if they died in those bushes.

They aren't in your head. They don't know that the switch has flipped for you. All you can do is show them. Own that you have hurt them, own that you have failed them, and show them that this time is different.

My family took care of my young children for over a month while I was gone. I caused so much upheaval in everyone's life, that I did whatever I could to reassure. I'm not suggesting the following for everyone, for reasons I won't go into here, but given an ultimatum I certainly did my time with my ass in a folding chair. It did nothing for me, but it was the least I could do to calm them. Their fear for my life was palpable.

Unfortunately for us, sometimes time is the only thing that gives us any credibility with loved ones.