Old 03-17-2013, 03:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Kindeyes

Intervention. I don't often talk about it but my son's first in patient rehab was a result of an intervention in 2006. Although he didn't stay sober, it was a very important step for our family as a unit.

We realized that he could have elected to run and not go to treatment but he went. It was one of the best programs in the Pacfic Northwest and they had an excellent family program which we (my husband, daughter and myself) attended. They believe that "treatment and support" for the family is critical to the overall success--because addiction is a family disease. It is where I began my recovery. He stayed the full 28 days and initially did extremely well. My son received tools that would allow him to remain sober if he chose to use them. We gave him the opportunity to gain the tools and I felt much better that I had done what I needed to do as a loving mother. And there was tremendous relief in that knowledge.

Intervention is risky. Intervention doesn't always work. Sometimes the addict will run and stop contact with the family because in their minds, they were betrayed. and I understand that thought process, I had to trick my son to get him to the intervention (and lied).

I think it's a decision that should be made carefully and done with the assistance of an experienced interventionist.

I do not regret doing the intervention for my son.

gentle hugs
ke