View Single Post
Old 03-14-2013, 04:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
LexieCat
A work in progress

I agree that "normal" for him means going back to drinking. I wouldn't be too concerned about "building trust" right now, because (lol, I almost said, "trust me") he is NOT trustworthy at this time. He will say whatever will get him the chance to go home and pick up where he left off.

Forcing him into rehab is iffy. I can't say that it WON'T work--I've known a few people who did choose sobriety once they had a real taste of recovery even though it was, essentially, forced on them. But I would say that the people most likely to recover are those who decided on their own that they could no longer live the way they were living.

I'm sorry to say I tend to agree that the best thing for you right now might be to extricate yourself from the relationship if you can possibly bring yourself to do that. If not, I strongly suggest that you get involved in Al-Anon--you have a very bumpy road ahead of you, and dealing with an active alcoholic brings nothing but heartache. It will make you "sick" as well unless you have strong boundaries and a sense of what "healthy" looks like.

Incidentally, I have been in two alcoholic marriages--one got sober, and the other went back to drinking after almost dying from it, and I am four and a half years sober now, myself.