View Single Post
Old 12-03-2004, 11:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Hopeful2

Recovery and Menopause?

As some of you know from my other posts, my ASIL is staying with us for a while to get her act together. She is 48 and is going through what appears to be a pretty rough menopause. She is constantly hot, and when she has a hot flash it's even worse. She's so hot at night she doesn't sleep, plus she's really moody as well. When I asked her what her doctors have recommended to help her symptoms, she said they told her she would just have to live with it. Is this really the prevailing wisdom? I started looking into alternative therapies, and see that exercise, anti-depressants and certain herbs (black cohosh, wild yam, soy, and some others) are recommended for symptom management. They also recommend avoiding spicy foods and alcohol (of course!)

I think her severe menopause symptoms, combined with her current lack of a recovery program, could really hinder her recovery. From what I've read, it appears she could be considered a dry drunk. Does anyone have any experience or recommedations for me? Thanks.