Old 03-12-2013, 08:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
PreciousKitty

Alcoholic in recovery wants to help employee

I am a supervisor at a state agency. I supervise a staff of 11. One of my employees has been missing a lot of work and is really slacking. I have no doubt that she is absolutely an alcoholic. And I know she has a good idea she is as well. Whether she is ready or even close to admitting it or wants help, I do not know.

My history is that I am a softie/push-over. And it is hard for me to set and keep boudaries because it wasn't so long ago I was doing the same thing as her. I ended up becoming quite irresponsible. I ended up going on FMLA so I could get into rehab.

Now that I am back to work it has been hard to feel that I have everyones respect. I am still a bit insecure. I am pretty sure everyone knows my leave was for rehab.

Everyone knows me as the nice guy (gal), but it is to the point that I need to pull this employee in and talk to her.

Like I said, holding others accountable is my weekness. This will be a good opportunity to work on that.

My question is this:
Would you say something to her about her drinking? I would like to help her in that way if I can. Or is it a bad idea to do that because I am her supervisor? I have hinted to her before that I know what she is going through, and here if she wants to talk.

If I do bring it up and talk to her about her drinking what should I say?

Or should I just keep it on a professional level and not say anything?

And last, has anyone been in a management position where they pretty much made a fool out of themselves for a few years, then sobered up and decided to be more serious. I want to hold others accountable, but someimes feel like a hipocrate.