Notices

Alcoholic in recovery wants to help employee

Old 03-12-2013, 08:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcoholic in recovery wants to help employee

I am a supervisor at a state agency. I supervise a staff of 11. One of my employees has been missing a lot of work and is really slacking. I have no doubt that she is absolutely an alcoholic. And I know she has a good idea she is as well. Whether she is ready or even close to admitting it or wants help, I do not know.

My history is that I am a softie/push-over. And it is hard for me to set and keep boudaries because it wasn't so long ago I was doing the same thing as her. I ended up becoming quite irresponsible. I ended up going on FMLA so I could get into rehab.

Now that I am back to work it has been hard to feel that I have everyones respect. I am still a bit insecure. I am pretty sure everyone knows my leave was for rehab.

Everyone knows me as the nice guy (gal), but it is to the point that I need to pull this employee in and talk to her.

Like I said, holding others accountable is my weekness. This will be a good opportunity to work on that.

My question is this:
Would you say something to her about her drinking? I would like to help her in that way if I can. Or is it a bad idea to do that because I am her supervisor? I have hinted to her before that I know what she is going through, and here if she wants to talk.

If I do bring it up and talk to her about her drinking what should I say?

Or should I just keep it on a professional level and not say anything?

And last, has anyone been in a management position where they pretty much made a fool out of themselves for a few years, then sobered up and decided to be more serious. I want to hold others accountable, but someimes feel like a hipocrate.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Kitty, I was not a supervisor, but I did work in human resources for 15 years for a public agency and had worked with many supervisors and legal counsel regarding employee disciplinary matters. As her supervisor, you should maintain a professional demeanor and avoid a personal relationship with subordinates. I have witnessed many good intentioned supervisors have the subordinate turn the situation around on the very person trying to be a friend and offer support. This can often lead to litigation.

I would recommend that you discuss this matter with HR (not disclosing your suspicions of alcoholism) and have them guide you through a written “special evaluation” where your concerns regarding performance and/or excessive absences are discussed with the employee. Refrain from discussing “personal” problems should the employee divulge, as this could be used against you in the future as “discrimination” should a disciplinary action ensue. Direct the employee to discuss with HR the available programs through the state; many public agencies contract with a mental healthcare program for free counseling outside of their medical insurance (MHN). This offers additional confidentiality for the employee. The employee does not need to inform HR of their personal problem. He/she can simply state that they are having personal issues and would like information on counseling services.

A specific time period, i.e., 3 – 6 months, should be set for a follow-up evaluation.

I know you want to help, but as I wrote earlier, you have to be very careful to not put yourself in a bad situation that could jeopardize your position and personal recovery.

State and public employers are easy targets for attorneys soliciting new clients for workplace discrimination claims. While the majority are nuisance claims that eventually settle outside of court to avoid the high litigation costs, some are legitimate. Best of luck.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I agree, do NOT say anything and leave yourself and the agency vulnerable. Claims even though well meaning can be twisted and grievances can be filed
Risk and Claims will tell you the same thing.

Personally,As a state government employee, if someone said this to me, I would file a grievance immediately with my union rep. it's not your place to judge anyone personally, job performance is the only thing you should have concern with.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Some great advice here PK.

D
Old 03-12-2013, 04:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PreciousKitty View Post
If I do bring it up and talk to her about her drinking what should I say?

Or should I just keep it on a professional level and not say anything?
You are not a hypocrite and this person should have to face consequenses like everyone else, so if I were you I wouldn't let her slide in her job in anyway without some consequenses cuz that would be enabling, but if you think she already knows that you know and she knows ur in recovery I would definitely tell her that you have found a way out and if she wants to know how you did it, that you are more than willing to share how you did it. But as you probably know, we had to be ready to quit and maybe she hasn't hit bottom yet. All we can do is pray for them. I have found that I have lost a lot of peace trying to help people that really didn't want help. But I really do admire your compassion. God Bless you!
Old 03-12-2013, 05:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I'm betting there is an employee assistance plan. When you talk with her, you can say that IF the reason for the performance issue has to do with any kind of personal or family problem, the EAP is there to help, and it's free and confidential. That way you aren't making what COULD be unwarranted assumptions, you will be doing your job, and offering her a resource that might help.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

If you work for the state, I suspect here are very strict guidelines. Contact HR.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I work for the fed. Be very careful not to mention the word alcoholic. Alcoholism is a disability and is part of the Americans with disabilities act (didn't check if you are in the US. If not, you learned something new). Base it strictly on performance. I would put her/ him on a performance improvement plan, if you have such a thing. This gives them written out what they need to work on and until when to show improvement. Hopefully, if she is having alcohol probs or the like she will get into recovery and cover herself from reprimands (since it is a disability). If not, and it turns out she is a bad employee, well then u hold her to the improvement plan and you have a reason to dismiss her.

Obviously your whole scenario maybe different than what I work with. But that is how I would handle it.

Good luck!

:-)
Old 03-12-2013, 07:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

yep, just do the job you are assigned.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

I had this situation. Get with your HR generalist and get your EAP number. I would also look at some courses to not be a softie, the only way to gain respect of employees is to set and keep boundaries.

Good luck!
Old 03-12-2013, 07:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Sounds like a tough situation...guess that suggesting that her missing work, seemingly slacking off, could be of a personal nature that HR would be a good place to start. And that you care about her and her job performance and that it would help her to seek help/support, as you have and do....You obviously DO care and don't want to see her job jepordized when help, as needed, is available. raku
Old 03-12-2013, 07:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Superb advice inhere. Don't set yourself up for big problems by trying to address any of this without HR/LMR guidance. Best of luck to you.