Thread: Newbie
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2004, 07:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
comfortablynumb

Originally Posted by Ama
A warm welcome to you!!!! A thousand welcomes even

We all need support to get started; then to keep going!!!! The first step you have made by getting here.....SR.....its the best!!!! I or anyone will not pretend that it is easy to stop....I am a testament to that I regret to say. Addiction has two components....physical allergy and mental addiction. In my case I am allergic to the point that I actually break out in rashes etc. Very visible evidence of my allergy to alcohol. I am also allergic to dairy products. So to stop those rashes I dont touch dairy. I know I cannot eat cheese because I am allergic to it. So very sensibly indeed I avoid it. Makes sense so far????

But this is where it all changes with alcoholism, because the mental addiction requires treatment......and the first thing is to get sober! Get the head abit clear so that you can work on the mental component. This is where SR is your first step. You are now connecting with friends who share the pain and anguish and heartache and sorrow and despair that uncannily always accompanies our affliction. In my case and many others too - AA or some other recovery programme(s) are necessary if you wish to maintain sobriety...

Seek out meetings in your area and read posts on this site......its about Acceptance of Alcoholism (and a few other things...) combined with a willingness to put procedures in place to protect both acceptance and willingness. Addiction is a very tricky business and uses tools like complacancy and cunningness to give us false senses of security or even to deceive us into thinking we are cured. It is most destructive and wants us to fall into its abyss. AA describes alcoholism as Cunning, Powerful and Baffling. These words are meaning more to me each day....why do I continue to fall back into its trap for instance. Because I allow the insanity to invade me. When I totally adhere to a programme of recovery this insanity is quiesced but can arise and lies in wait like a thief in the night. Get well dear friend with others like you and I. Hope to see you post really soon!!!! Luvs and Recovery Ama

Thank-you for your kind words and encouragement, AMA!
And yes, there is a compelling part of me that says I CAN drink within reason...sometimes I actually do it, but as of late, it is MORE often that I DON'T...