View Single Post
Old 03-04-2013, 07:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
soberlicious

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by swesti
but whilst we're trying i find it difficult if its just the two of us out and he drinks 2 plus bottles of wine, it just feels disrespectful.
It is impossible for a person to be fully present and engaged with another in the present moment while they are intoxicated. I can certainly understand why it would not feel good for you. In my opinion, it would be the same as dining alone. I'm sorry that this is the current dynamic between the two of you. I hope that it will change, but I the meantime, as others have suggested, find some fulfilling things to do on your own if you can. There are lots of ways you can learn new things and be involved in stuff that doesn't center around drinking...book club, classes (pottery, cooking, language) or things like running clubs, kayaking if you're more outdoorsy. The sky is the limit...Google your interests and I'll bet there is a group in your area. No need to be lonely.