View Single Post
Old 03-03-2013, 08:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
rollercoaster83

i just don't know....

I haven't posted for a while now, more because i've been pushing my addict brother out of my brain (or trying to). After his last relapse in august i stopped talking to him untill after he came out of rehab (mid october). He was "doing well, best he had been in years" so he said...only a month later he was back at it...biiiiig surprise! i knew it the second he didn't show up to my birthday. I haven't said i word to him since...3 months.

what has sparked me writing is, I work in healthcare, i see all sorts of crap but what hit me was a patient i had who was in his 50s, and his past medical history was....alcohol abuse, narcotics abuse, chronic this, chronic that etc....and lives in a group home.

...I went to go meet him, like i do all my patients, did my normal interview, asked him a billion questions...then it hit me, this is my brother in 20 years. His brain is mush, he has no family left that will speak to him, hes suffering from every chronic illness under the sun and he has spent the last 4 decades struggling with his addiction.

i deal with addiction, disease, mental illness every day...atleast 90% of my patients are struggling...but this guy...there was something about him. If it weren't totally unprofessional, i would have asked him straight out...is there anything i can do?

i miss my brother & best friend...