View Single Post
Old 02-28-2013, 02:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
lamusica

Exclamation goiong to extremes

Hello everyone, I'm writing from Afghanistan. I have been an alcoholic for 8 years, since I came home from my first deployment. I went to rehab, went to AA, attempted suicide and freaked out my family, ruined my marriage. Nothing, no "rock bottom" could make me quit. So I volunteered for this deployment for a year of no-options sobriety. We are not allowed to drink here, and would be in huge trouble if caught, so... I have been sober since July 13, 2012. I feel pretty good. I have to find stuff to do when I'm bored, boredom usually meant I would get drunk. I have found ways to deal with stress, loss, anger, sadness, all of these would lead me to drink. I think I've grown a lot, but I go home in June. What will I do as a free woman? I will have 11 months sober, but the safeties will be gone. I can just go to the store and buy. Will I resist the urge? I have a 12 year old daughter who has suffered because of my disease. I just want to go home and be a better mother. I want to be healthy. I want to be happy. Can I be normal?