View Single Post
Old 02-27-2013, 05:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Nonsensical
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by Donnaw View Post
the only problem is i am unable to feel love for anything apart from my young daughter
Let me throw this out there, for what it's worth.

Love is both a noun and a verb. In your quote above you used it as a noun - something you want to feel. In the subject line of this thread you used it as a verb - something you find yourself unable to do.

I submit these are NOT the same thing.

How does one love (verb) their spouse if they don't feel love (noun) toward their spouse? The burning question. My answer is simple - the same way you do it if you ARE feeling love toward your spouse. Why would it be different? You hold up your end of the bargain.

We've been married 21 years. Some days I don't feel love toward Mrs N. What do I do on those days? I try to make sure my undies make it into the hamper. I put the toilet seat lid down. I fix broken stuff in our house. I make dinner. If she says her neck is stiff, I rub it. The same stuff I do when I wake up all full of puppy love. The stuff she has asked me to do. The stuff that shows her respect and demonstrates effort at getting to the place we want to be. Love is an action verb. It requires doing stuff, even when it doesn't make your heart go pitter-pat.

I'm no marriage counselor. Perhaps your marriage is busted beyond repair. I just thought I'd throw out another perspective.

Congratulations on 5 months of sobriety. Best of Luck!