View Single Post
Old 02-25-2013, 04:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
LexieCat
A work in progress

Hi, Argent,

I'm a sober alcoholic (four and a half years) and I've been in two marriages to alcoholics, so I know how it feels to be on both sides of the issue.

I sincerely hope you aren't counting on Antabuse to keep you sober. That is a VERY short-term crutch, at best, to get you through the early days of sobriety when it is hardest to give up old routines. Personally, I love AA as a way to have really good QUALITY sobriety--in the sense that life is better sober than it is drinking.

How much you share is up to you, but you must keep in the forefront of your mind that your partner has "been there, done that" so far as your promises and intentions go. I have no doubt you are sincere in your desire to stay sober, but your actions will speak louder than your words.

A lot of us drink because we are uncomfortable in our own skins and we want to "break out of our heads," as you put it. To be comfortable sober will require some internal changes, which AA's Steps are designed to address. No need to fear it will turn you into a social butterfly, lol--you may always be a bit of an introvert, and that's OK. But you don't want to be a MISERABLE introvert, staying away from a drink solely out of fear. That's no way to live.

I hope you will also encourage your partner to give Al-Anon a try. He might find it a great relief to be able to share with others who understand what it's like to live with an alcoholic. If he doesn't want to go, that's fine, too. It doesn't mean he's not being supportive--Al-Anon is for him, not for you.

Good luck with your efforts--though luck has little to do with it. You must make it the number one priority in your life, or you are likely to wind right back where you are now--or worse.