View Single Post
Old 02-25-2013, 07:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
BookBlockBear

My husband tried to keep me as far from anything to do with him and his recovery as possible. And it ended in his failed attempts that he then blamed on me not changing how I reacted to things.

Involve your partner but gently. He is going to be afraid of getting his hopes up and then getting crushed if it does not work. It was crushing for me all the time to keep watching my husband fail at his attempt and then run back to his "friends" that would ply him with his addictions.

Instead of watching t.v. try asking him to take a walk with you. You don't have to talk, just hold hands and go for a walk. Or snuggle while going fishing. Still sitting, still not a lot of verbal communications needed. But it is doing something. My husband always thought t.v. and video games and with me in the room (he picked the games and shows without my input) was quality bonding time. But then would go do all my favorite hobbies with his friends (while drinking and using other stuff). I would have killed for him to do ANYTHING with me if his addictions and friends were not part of it.

Go slow keep making progress, be patient and focus on your recovery. By getting yourself better and staying that way he will come around and then you can start to fix and rebuild things.