View Single Post
Old 02-25-2013, 07:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
ArgentOfSilvae

Alcoholic wanting advice with partner

Hi all,

Apologies if this is not the best place to post but I kind of want advice from those living with alcoholics so that I can avoid any common pitfalls and hopefully make this as pain free for myself and my partner.

So a bit of background info:

I suppose I am what people would call an introvert, i am generally quite unsociable, all of my social interactions are work and my partner. In general i find people rather dull, I find small talk a chore so most of the time I am quiet and have very little to say. This is the same with my partner, I love him but simply sometimes I have nothing to say to him, so we often have long periods of time where we simply sit together and watch a movie or tv or play games which my partner hates as he feels that he has done something wrong, which he never has (he has some confidence issues from previous relationship)

During these times I often drink as it makes it easier for me to break out of my head as it were(I am by no means pinning my drinking on my inability to converse nor on my partner). Now I have tried and failed multiple times in the last 4 years to quit and I have found at least in the short time I was off it I was an extreme version of myself, mostly because I generally do not like to talk about how I am feeling as I feel talking about something that he cannot help will neither help me or him, but perhaps this is not the same mindset he has.

Now I have an appointment to detox and I am serious this time on quitting, I will be on Antabuse after the week of detox and I am confident the side effects will truly keep me away from that "one" drink. My partner seems genuinely pleaser that I am now going down the route of medical help but I get the feeling that he will "wait and see" as I have broken this promise before.

So baring all that in mind I want to make this work and make it work right and I don't think my usual way of doing things (head sand) is going to work so I wondered if anyone out there could give advice on how much I should involve him In my recovery and the inner workings of my mind, possible issues that could arise and in general ways in which you and your partners have done things

Apologies for the rather long post and thanks again in advance for any advice given, I cannot promise to follow it but I can try.

AoS