Thread: Blacked out
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2013, 10:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
CrossFox

Originally Posted by ChasingHim View Post
Thank you dee74 for your input. I greatly appreciate it.

I will go to the doctor in the morning. I am wondering if you have any advice on how I should break the news to him as I only know what was told to me, and no other details. I really cannot bare to lose him and so I'm having a hard time approaching him with this bad news. Any tips?

Me, I'd lead with "I've decided to get support in ditching alcohol [if that's your choice] and any other destructive patterns, because I really scared myself recently and put my safety at risk. I want to stop this now. Here is what happened..."

It would make a different impact than dropping the infidelity bomb and then immolating yourself with apologies as he heads for the door, mentioning that you'll get help.

Your boyfriend may leave, or seperate from you indefinitely while you go to meetings and learn about addictive patterns and coalcoholism, and it's not up to you.

I would not call, text, email, or try to relay messages to him through another person when he gains distance from you, as he probably will do. IMO, it's best to focus on yourself while getting help and let your boyfriend make contact with you, later, if he wants (and if and when you want).