Thread: Im new here...
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2013, 04:20 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Threshold
Grateful to be free

Redrosie, Welcome and thank you for speaking up and starting this awesome thread!

This thread, I think, will be a great help to you and I promise you it is a life saver for numerous people out there reading, who may not even yet have joined SR but are asking the same question you are. The same question everyone here asked themselves at some point. And the same feeling...I just don't want to have a problem.

I echo everything that has been shared. Solid stuff. But I do have one more thought to share that comes from my own experience, with my recovery and with SR (this forum).

You say you don't know how to not have a drink. I understand. You will figure that out, maybe by the time I type this you already will have. But even if you don't stop drinking this minute, today, or for a little while keep coming here, reading, sharing, etc.

My recovery began before I stopped drinking and using, and SR was a big part of that. It helped me sort out what was going on in me, get support and find the will and confidence to stop. I didn't have that when I first came here.

Many of us here started coming here while we were still drinking. Many of us even posted drunk, if that was where we were. While of course we encourage and support sobriety 100%, no one is shamed, turned away or thought less than if they have not yet gotten to that point. We all know that place and we journey together that we might all find freedom from it.

Essentially, you belong here, no matter what point in your recovery you are, and that includes the very early stage when we ask ourselves if we even have a problem at all. You belong.

So glad you found us.