Thread: Im new here...
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2013, 03:41 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Nonsensical
Hears The Voice

NOT drinking is actually quite easy - you just don't pour a glass and lift it to the lips.

Dealing with that voice in my head that is continuously telling me I need a drink, I deserve a drink, I can't feel good without a drink, etc. is another story ENTIRELY! That can be quite difficult.

That voice doesn't care if I lose my job, my family, my health, my sanity or my life. He just wants a drink and he is relentless in his pursuit if that.

He's like a 2-year-old who has discovered candy and doesn't understand why he can't have more. He begs, whines, pleads, rationalizes, negotiates, pouts, threatens, insults and throws tantrums. All the things a 2-year-old does when they have NO ACTUAL POWER. The voice has no power. He can't pour me a drink. Only I can do that. I tell it "no".

It doesn't like to be told, "no". It tells me I can't feel good unless I drink. It lies.

I can't shut that voice off. I would if I could. I can't. I have to hear it. But I don't have to listen to it. It lies. I don't listen to the advice of liars any longer. It's powerless. Treating it as such feels really good. .