View Single Post
Old 02-20-2013, 04:16 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
bemyself

PS MTN and any other interested parties:

This short quote below just about sums about 'The Idler' website and books. Will Self and other fabulous writers have contributed to it over the years. Also, note my mistake: it's Tom Hodgkinson, not Wilkinson. From what I gather, he's (now?) about early 40s, and has kids.

Anyway, I found this stuff extremely comforting in the first couple of years after I was a. made redundant from my job and now, b. being 'sort of retired on a disability pension' (i.e. 'useless' in the world of productivity, which is as rife here in Aus as in all the other G20 nations).

"Literature for Loafers
The Idler magazine was founded in 1993 by Tom Hodgkinson and Gavin Pretor-Pinney in order to explore alternatives to the work ethic and promote freedom and the fine art of doing nothing. In that time it has passed through many incarnations, and inspired thousands of people to cast off the shackles of corporate or bureaucratic life, and find freedom. It now exists as an annual collection of essays, published in hardback book form. The current issue is themed around Utopia and includes contributions from Louis Theroux, Bill Drummond, Boff Whalley and Joe Dunthorne. "