Old 02-20-2013, 04:16 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Quinne

Hi Del, you'll probably receive more responses if you start your own introductory thread in the newcomers forum

Katie, I can relate 100%. I had an insane (I kept repeating the same behaviour and expecting different results) habit of busting and trying to "take on the world"-throwing myself into new jobs, more into my relationships, different areas of study, etc.

For me, it was a means of doing anything possible *not* to look at myself; I didn't have time-nor the inclination or desperation until quite recently-to do so. It was also like a masochistic pattern when I refused to admit i'm alcoholic; I seemed to get something out of tearing myself down and seeing how much I could build myself up again with the external.

Pretty nuts, right?

In any case, i've been working damn hard on my recovery for the last 8 & 1/2 months inside and outside the rooms of AA. I was studying while I was still drinking and received my qualification at the end of last year at about 5 months sober. I have continued to study, but for once in my academic life I actually took advice from someone at my University who certainly knows better than me. I had enrolled in 3 subjects and she suggested 2 as it's a summer trimester and it's a crazy time of year. So I did that. I've found that it works for me, and i've re-adjusted my enrolment to 2 subjects for next trimester too.

natom hit the nail on the head, in my opinion and experience, too-make recovery #1 and the rest of your life falls into place.

What was working for you recovery-wise in that 3 & 1/2 week period of sobriety?

Xx