View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013, 09:08 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
babyonboard2

When I got home last night he was not feeling well [he had not been feeling well all day] and said he thought he was having alcohol withdrawal and so he drank 1 chilado but he didn't feel any better. He was crying and he had written a statement about what he wants out of life/sobriety and it listed reasons he wanted to stop drinking and then his fears about stopping drinking. I asked him what had brought this on [although I had been thinking about it a lot at work and posting on here, I had not talked to him about his drinking yesterday] and he said 'I don't know, I think your question to me yesterday about why I got drunk after saying I didn't want to get drunk. It really made me think.' He was talking about how he knows he wants a different and better life and he knows he needs to change his actions as well as his thinking now that he wants to be a good husband and father. He wasn't drunk or even tipsy and he just looked distressed and sad. I feel like it is some improvement in that he is thinking about this on his own and knows he needs to do something, probably to save the relationship but also just because he wants to.

He occasionally sees a counselor as well as a doctor who prescribes him meds, who had told him to keep a journal of how much he drinks [but he has never done that as far as I know]. I want to be encouraging to him and tell him to talk to his counselor and doctor about his drinking issue and start with one day of not drinking. But I don't want to be pushy or make it about me as I know it has to be about him.