View Single Post
Old 02-10-2013, 04:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
renaldo

Welcome Jasmine,

Tons of people share your view.

I'm an agnostic, because I can't say for sure that there's no God watching what happens to everyone, but I tend to find it hard to believe.

If you find the Higher Power thing hard to swallow, LifeRing meetings are an alternative. Go to LifeRing.org to find where meetings are happening. There aren't as many as AA meetings, but they have no jargon, no rules, no recitations, no holding hands and praying, and cross-talk is encouraged.

It's a breath of fresh air for me, but I've availed myself of AA plenty of times. They're not going to kick you out for being an atheist because they've been there and done that and know the score with regards to drinking. And the score is that it's a life and death matter.

In fact I was at one packed meeting and I ended up sitting on the floor and some guy stormed out saying, "well apparently some people are blocking the aisle!"

Someone followed him out saying, "he could die tonight."
The guy who stormed out ended up being the leader of a regular meeting and that was all because someone cared enough about a complete stranger to go out of his way to help him feel less estranged.

Also, there are atheist AA meetings. They're few and far between, but you may be able to find one online where you can chime in without having to drive a long distance.