Notices

Starting from scratch

Old 02-10-2013, 03:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Starting from scratch

I've been an alcoholic for most of my life. Within the past few years it's gotten really bad. I've developed numerous health problems as a result of my drinking and it has destroyed all my relationships and taken away all of my confidence. I have tried AA and have even tried online support groups but noone seems to share my point of view when it comes to a higher power. I am an atheist
Old 02-10-2013, 03:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Jasmine - welcome

Have you considered a non 12 step/secular programme? there's a few around now...SMART, Rational Recovery, LifeRing, Secular Organizations for Sobriety (SOS), Women for Sobriety...

D
Old 02-10-2013, 03:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Welcome, Jasmine

There is a whole secular section of this forum that stays fairly active. If you post questions there or jump into one of the threads, you will find support.

Secular Connections - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 02-10-2013, 03:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR.
There is a lot of support here for you.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome Jasmine (my favourite flower scent!),

Yes, as others note, you'll find heaps out there for atheists wanting to get and stay sober. The Secular Connections part of SR is terrific, with lots of sane and intelligent conversations.

I was also interested to see (via my obsessive online research :-)) that some intrepid adventurers have even established an explicitly atheist / agnostics AA. Can't remember its exact title now but just google it and you'll find them. I think they're physically based in the US, and have online stuff too. Probably some of the atheist members here can offer you more info.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Jasmine,

Tons of people share your view.

I'm an agnostic, because I can't say for sure that there's no God watching what happens to everyone, but I tend to find it hard to believe.

If you find the Higher Power thing hard to swallow, LifeRing meetings are an alternative. Go to LifeRing.org to find where meetings are happening. There aren't as many as AA meetings, but they have no jargon, no rules, no recitations, no holding hands and praying, and cross-talk is encouraged.

It's a breath of fresh air for me, but I've availed myself of AA plenty of times. They're not going to kick you out for being an atheist because they've been there and done that and know the score with regards to drinking. And the score is that it's a life and death matter.

In fact I was at one packed meeting and I ended up sitting on the floor and some guy stormed out saying, "well apparently some people are blocking the aisle!"

Someone followed him out saying, "he could die tonight."
The guy who stormed out ended up being the leader of a regular meeting and that was all because someone cared enough about a complete stranger to go out of his way to help him feel less estranged.

Also, there are atheist AA meetings. They're few and far between, but you may be able to find one online where you can chime in without having to drive a long distance.

Old 02-10-2013, 04:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm an Atheist and sober as well.

You are not unique, nor alone.

Welcome and I wish you well in your sober journey.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Jasmine. I'm glad you've decided to seek help - it made all the difference to me to know I wasn't alone. I had no one to turn to in my life - they were all social drinkers and just didn't get it. You'll find encouragement and hope here, from people who've been there.

You can turn it all around and have a great new life, Jasmine. Keep reading and posting. We are here to help you.