View Single Post
Old 02-10-2013, 09:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
zoso77
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
Originally Posted by ROBOhamster View Post
Okay, I have never really been on a forum but I'll give this a shot.
My friend who was once my girlfriend is now a substance abuser. She abuses oxy and all sorts of other things. She suffers from Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis and Fibromyalga. I can see why she uses her medication because she needed it to numb the pain. But then things really began to change as she started getting hooked on the oxy and stuff. She's been in rehab twice now for her drug addiction and doesn't feel "ready" to stop just yet. I don't want her to hit rock bottom but I guess that's what it will take. Her liver is already damaged from all the medication she has been taking and she has now moved to snorting them. She can't function without her oxy and gets very agitated and violent without it. She also used an electronic cigarette to help herself wane off the medications. But now she is smoking actual cigarettes. It wasn't until recently when I realized that she has been using me, but I tell myself she isn't. (May just be the fact that I still have feelings for her). She saves her money and asks me to buy her medications and recently her cigarettes. She's been staying with some guy she met and lied to me about that. She expects me to drive her all over the place and only speaks to me when she needs money or so. I'm not typing too well so excuse, my typo's. I don't know if I should just cut her out of my life or continue to stay. I hate being lied to and used but I feel that if I walk out on here she'll get much worse. Please help
Welcome to the Board.

I empathize with where you're at. You probably feel like you're in a desperate situation. That said, you have a choice in all of this whether you realize it or not.

You've got your "friend" pegged. However, I can assure you it will make no difference to her whether you stay or leave. We like to think we have control over someone else's addiction, but we don't. But we do have control over our actions, our behavior, and our choices. What you have to do is ask yourself where your boundaries are, and if you're willing to allow a person in your life that tramples all over them. And I think, once you ask yourself that question and answer it honestly, then your course of action becomes pretty clear...

...provided your answer is indeed honest...

Stick around with us. Read and learn what you can. And let us know how you're doing.

Best,
ZoSo