View Single Post
Old 02-09-2013, 09:28 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
ShootingStar1

I am glad to hear that you are out of the house and safe, whatever the reason is. From your past posts, having an AH who punches a hole in the wall and breaks his finger is a scary sign when he starts focusing that anger on you. That he gets angry with you during intimate moments is also very disturbing. As Lexie says, it is better to get some physical space between you so that you are not a target for his violence.

This also gives you the emotional space and time to really contemplate what you want. You can talk with a lawyer - many give free consultations - and see what your rights are and what the process would be if you decide to divorce. This doesn't mean you have to divorce him; it just means that you can make an educated decision, understanding the financial consequences.

For me, the more time I was away from my AH, the more I realized how deeply disturbed our relationship had become as his alcoholism and other addictions progressed. And my AH didn't change after I left; he just went on the rollercoaster of threatening, then cajoling, then attacking, then telling me he loved me, then saying I'd never make it with our him, and on and on. Yours may be different.

So you've got yourself a protected "time-out" away from him with all the relatives' support; sounds like a win for you for the time being.

Longer-term, this is totally your decision, and it doesn't matter what anyone else things. It is your life, and you get to decide.

From reading some of your past posts, I wanted to comment that, from my experience, having left my AH on July 4th and filed for divorce shortly after, I have had many moments of regret. There were many good times, so much laughter, many poignant shared moments and sometimes I am drawn back to him as if those would be our future. In my case, that isn't going to happen, and I need to let go of my dreams, remember the past joys, and move on from the current despair. It's very bittersweet, and it is hard - but for me essential - to keep coming back to the truth of what life would be if I were with him now.

ShootingStar1