View Single Post
Old 02-09-2013, 07:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
CharlieNoogan

Wow. Your parking garage incident reminds me of a time I went out with friends and one of them had given me a ride downtown. I blacked out at the bar but didn't realize it (duh). I "came to" at 3:00am circling the levels of a parking ramp on foot desperately searching for my car. Thank God my car was parked at home because if I had found it in the ramp I would have tried to drive. In much confusion, I stumbled into a high-end hotel and booked a $350 room at about 4:30am, remembering I needed to be at work in 4 hours.

I woke up late for work, made a $20 local phone call to have my girlfriend bring my suit and tie to the hotel, and noticed that I had at some point broken my big toe the night before. After speaking with a friend later that day, he recounted that I had gotten so sloppy at a club that a bouncer threw me out. I apparently stood outside smoking a cigarette while that friend went back in to close our tab at the bar. When he came back out a few minutes later, I had disappeared. I have absolutely no idea what I did or where I went between about midnight and 3:00am. I would have definitely been an easy mark for the police, a mugger, or worse. Of course, I still didn't think I had a problem at that point.

The great thing is snowman, you don't have to do this to yourself anymore. Embrace recovery now, while your worst consequence is a pair of pissed pants and a bit of shame. I only wish I had stopped there.

AA is a great place to start. You will find a lot of like-minded folks who have "been there, done that" and who genuinely want to help you stay sober. Good luck my friend!