View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013, 03:35 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Joe Nerv

When I lived alone I didn't keep any alcohol in the house. I had no reason to. If anyone came over and wanted to drink, they were welcome to bring whatever they wanted, but I'd have them take it with them when they left.

Now that I'm married, my wife has some alcohol in the house. She picked up some exotic bottles of I don't even know what when we've traveled. Out of respect, not request... she keeps them out of my sight. I don't know where they are. I, in fact, didn't even know we had any alcohol in the house till not that long ago. I figured she drank or gave away anything she bought.

When I lived in my parents house, they had alcohol around. They rarely drank, but there were times where there'd be a 6-pack, or carafe of wine in the refridgerator. While I didn't really feel tempted by them, there were times I have to admit I felt a bit slighted, as in "why can't I drink that like anyone esle". I found that they did, ever so quietly, whisper to me at different times during the day. I knew they were there. I don't want to play games like that, nor ever feel like I "can't" do something. Without it around those thoughts never cross my mind. I've got nothing to prove by keeping it in the house. So unless there was good reason for me (ie. my wife likes buying exotic wine or rum from time to time), I wouldn't keep any around.