View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013, 01:56 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
ricmcc

If I lived alone, I think I would not have alcohol around, as there would be no point, really, expect perhaps getting some wine in if I were to have a dinner party or something. However, I live with my wife and daughter (11 yr old daughter, yet to drink). As my wife does have the odd drink, I suspect that she keeps some around here somewhere, although I have never asked her where or looked for it (I can't be certain, but her keeping it out of sight is likely more for her benefit then mine, but I do see her point, keeping it in my sight would have no positive effect, and might well have a negative effect, if not today, maybe in future--she plays it safe). One point which is important to me, perhaps once every few months, roughly, she will have several drinks, and get happy rather than drunk. We have a standing agreement that at such times I may, if feeling at all threatened by drink beiing enjoyed around me take a 'time out' and go upstairs to read or whatever, no questions asked, and no offence to either party (working this out before hand was importand, I think). This strategy seems to work well, as she can drink repsponsably, so does so on occassion, where I can't drink at all, so abstain totally without asking my wife to give up her Christmas egg nog, for example. The important thing was working it out in advance, I believe---anyway, it seems to work for us, allow for dinner parties or whatever with drink, ---hope this at least vaguely addresses your question Best of luck to you, rick