Old 02-06-2013, 12:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
FireSprite

This is probably more semantics but after I read The Shack, this differentiation really helped me to think differently of some things:

For me resenting is a verb; fluid, changing, actionable. In working through the emotion that drives it, I can convert it into something else.... forgiveness, anger, etc. Whichever I'm more inclined to at the moment. But the ultimate point is that the actionable part, resenting someone or something, might go through many stages & can ultimately be released.

Resentments, on the other hand, are nouns.... not so actionable. These become dead weights that I carry & only by applying action to them can I release them. It's up to me whether I carry it or let it go. Resentments root deeply in me, become kind of vague over time & get all mixed up together when they relate to the same person/situation.... but the feeling of resenting passes/converts/moves on more easily.

So I agree with you ShootingStar1.... I don't owe any apologies to anyone for my feelings OR letting them be known because I owe it to myself to be honest & call a spade a spade as I see it. So long as I don't create expectations based on this & know that letting my truths be known in a reasonable way is about me letting them go... not about what the other person does with this information once they have it.

It is in converting our verbs to nouns that we weigh ourselves down. Expecting something is perfectly ok....so long as I let go of the results & move on after it does or does not happen the way I expect it to. Having expectations creates rules of right/wrong & opens me up for disappointment.

I know I'm explaining this badly, feel free to ignore me completely!