View Single Post
Old 02-04-2013, 03:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
paul99
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

I absolutely know what that feeling is like. I was getting it often in early recovery - it wasn't that I wanted to drink or anything like that, but there was like an emptiness, something not there...missing. It was in working the steps that I saw it was the true sense and faith and feeling of my Higher Power that filled in the hole. It was prayer and meditation. Listening to myself. No amount of hobbies or new friends could fill that void. It was getting in touch with my HP through the work of the steps and having that conscious contact that really helped me. Might sound a bit airy fairy, but that is what it was for me. Since I have come to that place of being aware, of waking up (so to speak), I rarely get that feeling...and if I do, it's because I am not doing the things that keep me in fit spiritual conditions. Working with others is the big one too...the minute I started working with others, that hole closed up even more...getting out of self.

You're on the right path, and in getting that spiritual awakening, you'll find you won't feel that way any more, or nearly as much as you do now. We used alcohol to fill that void...pointless, eh?

All the best